This page is dedicated to explaining how to install OpenFOAM in openSUSE.
2 Copy-Paste steps
A few notes before you start copy-pasting:
- Lines that start with # don't have to be copy-pasted. They are just comments to let you know what's going on.
- One wrong character is enough for breaking this guide, so make sure you can read the characters properly or that the installed language system does not break the copied characters!
2.1 openSUSE 12.1
Discussion thread where you can ask questions about these steps: Install OpenFOAM-1.7.1 on openSUSE 12.1
NOTE: These instructions are still being re-written from a pseudo-template page!
- Switch to root mode (administrator) and install the necessary packages (run one line at a time):
su - yum groupinstall 'Development Tools' yum install openmpi openmpi-devel qt-devel qt-webkit-devel zlib-devel cmake exit
- Download and unpack (here you can copy-paste all in single go):
#OpenFOAM downloading and installation cd ~ mkdir OpenFOAM cd OpenFOAM wget "http://downloads.sourceforge.net/foam/OpenFOAM-2.1.1.tgz?use_mirror=mesh" -O OpenFOAM-2.1.1.tgz wget "http://downloads.sourceforge.net/foam/ThirdParty-2.1.1.tgz?use_mirror=mesh" -O ThirdParty-2.1.1.tgz tar xzf OpenFOAM-2.1.1.tgz tar xzf ThirdParty-2.1.1.tgz
- For building OpenFOAM itself, it depends on whether you have installed the i386 or x86_64 architecture of Fedora. To check this, run:
- For i386:
#forcefully load Open-MPI into the environment module load openmpi-i386 #here you can change 4 to the number of cores you've got source $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.1/etc/bashrc WM_NCOMPPROCS=4 WM_MPLIB=SYSTEMOPENMPI WM_ARCH_OPTION=32 echo "module load openmpi-i386" >> $HOME/.bashrc echo "source $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.1/etc/bashrc $FOAM_SETTINGS" >> $HOME/.bashrc
- For x86_64:
#forcefully load Open-MPI into the environment module load openmpi-x86_64 #here you can change 4 to the number of cores you've got source $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.1/etc/bashrc WM_NCOMPPROCS=4 WM_MPLIB=SYSTEMOPENMPI echo "module load openmpi-x86_64" >> $HOME/.bashrc echo "source $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.1/etc/bashrc $FOAM_SETTINGS" >> $HOME/.bashrc
- For i386:
- Now let's build OpenFOAM:
(Warning: this may take somewhere from 30 minutes to 6 hours, depending on your machine.)
#Go into OpenFOAM's main source folder cd OpenFOAM-2.1.1 # This next command will take a while... somewhere between 30 minutes to 3-6 hours. ./Allwmake > make.log 2>&1 #Run it a second time for getting a summary of the installation ./Allwmake > make.log 2>&1
- To check if everything went well:
#Check if icoFoam is working icoFoam -help #Edit the file "make.log" and check if there are any error messages #Example: gedit make.log #Create a tarball in case you've seen any errors (it's the first error that matters) #or if you don't understand the output #and attach the file "make.log.tar.gz" to a post in the designated thread tar -czf make.log.tar.gz make.log
- Now, in order to build ParaView 3.10.1 that comes with OpenFOAM:
cd $WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR sed -i -e 's/ClearAndSelect = Clear | Select/ClearAndSelect = static_cast<int>(Clear) | static_cast<int>(Select)/' \ ParaView-3.12.0/Qt/Core/pqServerManagerSelectionModel.h ./makeParaView -qmake $(which qmake-qt4) cd $FOAM_UTILITIES/postProcessing/graphics/PV3Readers wmSET $FOAM_SETTINGS ./Allwclean ./Allwmake
- Now you can go read the User Guide: official OpenFOAM User Guide
Designated discussion thread where you can ask questions about these steps: Install OpenFOAM-1.7.1 on openSUSE 12.1