OpenFOAM doesn't run on Microsoft Windows out of the box because it relies on a case-sensitive file system. With some work however it is possible to run OpenFOAM on Windows.
Note: None of these solutions are officially supported by the OpenFOAM Foundation.
1 Do it yourself
- Wiki page dedicated to installing OpenFOAM on Windows
- How To Install Virtual Machines with VMware Player
2 Commercial solutions
- Atizar Limited - Provides OpenFOAM for Windows 64-bit in their product simFlow
- blueCAPE - Provides OpenFOAM for Windows 64-bit as the main feature of their product/service blueCFD-Core
- Creative Fields - Provides foam-extend and OpenFOAM for Windows 64-bit bundled with their product cfSuite
- ODS Engineering - Provides OpenFOAM for Windows 64-bit for their product ODS Studio
- Symscape - Provides OpenFOAM for Windows 64-bit in their product Caedium
- TIAN Building Engineering - Provides builds of OpenFOAM for Windows 64-bit in their online shop
3 Community solutions
Sorted by date of the last update:
- Provides the modified source code of OpenFOAM, as well as binary installation with a limited feature-set from blueCFD-Core. Is updated with a similar frequency to blueCFD-Core.
- Provided OpenFOAM versions: 2.0.x and 2.1.x, both 32-bit and 64-bit. No MPI support.
- Last Update: 3rd of April 2013
- OpenFOAM-2.1.x for Win64
- Based on Symscape's instructions, but built with Open-MPI instead of MS-MPI. Support thread for this build available here: Windows (x64) Binaries for OpenFOAM-2.1.x using OpenMPI
- Last Update: 7th of January, 2013
- OpenFOAM 1.7.0 for Windows 32 bit
- Based on instructions from this wiki page. Support thread for this build available here: OpenFOAM-1.7.0 for Win32
- Last Update: 9th of December, 2010
- openfoam16wi32 project at SourceForge
- On Yuu Kasuga's blog (in Japanese) is a short tutorial on how to install and use the files on this project, which provides OpenFOAM 1.6 32-bit binaries for Windows.
- Last Update: 9th of September, 2010 (for the RAR file; 7zip file on 10th of June, 2013)
- Provides a port of OpenFOAM 1.5, built natively on Windows. It also provides a GUI for editing case files and launching ParaView. It seems to have been a proof-of-concept project for a master thesis.
- Last Update: 28th of May, 2009