Difference between revisions of "Contrib/waves2Foam"
|Line 25:||Line 25:|
For enquiries, discussion, etc., please use
For enquiries, discussion, etc., please use
== Tutorials ==
== Tutorials ==
Revision as of 18:40, 17 August 2017
The library waves2Foam is a toolbox used to generate and absorb free surface water waves. Currently the method applies the relaxation zone technique (active sponge layers) and a large range of wave theories are supported and the relaxation zones can take arbitrary shapes.
Release of the waves2Foam Manual
As of the 17th of August 2017, the waves2Foam Manual is released. Consequently, the content of this Wiki-page is reduced.
It is still possible to find download/installation instructions and information on the code contributions.
- 1 waves2Foam - Information
- 2 Tutorials
- 3 Development / On-going and Future
- 4 Download and Installation
- 5 Modifications to the Source Code (History)
- 6 References
1 waves2Foam - Information
1.1 Report Bugs via the Mantis on Sourceforge
Please report bugs (not compilation errors, unless they are bugs) here:
There is a subsection for waves2Foam. This will make it easier to keep track of issues, which needs attention.
1.2 Discussions on cfd-online.com
There are two main threads on cfd-online.com, which are related to waves2Foam.
For announcements please consider . Note that questions will generally not be answered here. It is a source of communication on development/release topics. For enquiries, discussion, etc., please use .
This table shows, which tutorials are set up to use the different functionalities functionalities:
|Name of tutorial||relaxationZoneLayout||relaxationZones||setWaveParameters||setWaveField||faceSetToSTL||waveGaugesNProbes||waveFoam||surfaceElevation||postProcessingWaves||Validation|
2.2 Use of relaxationZoneLayout
2.2.1 Relaxation Zone Layout
- Name: tutorials/relaxationZoneLayout
- Utility: relaxationZoneLayout
- Description: This tutorial will show how to use the utility to obtain a visual on the relaxation zones. This could be helpful to detect potential problems in the setup.
2.3 Use of waveFoam
2.3.1 Wave Flume
- Name: tutorials/waveFoam/waveFlume
- Solver: waveFoam
- Description: This tutorial will show the user how to use the constant/waveProperties dictionary to set-up the wave properties, relaxation zones and initialization specifications.
2.3.2 Standing Wave
- Name: tutorials/waveFoam/standingWave
- Solver: waveFoam
- Description: This tutorial shows how to handle wave generation and a fully reflecting sea wall utilising the relaxation zone technique.
2.3.3 3D Wave Flume with a Seawall
- Name: tutorials/waveFoam/3Dwaves
- Solver: waveFoam
- Description: This tutorial shows the use of relaxation zones in 3 dimensions. There are 3 inlet relaxation zones and one outlet relaxation zone. In the middle of the wave tank there is a vertical internal wall on which the waves are reflected. The waves, which are generated in the 3 inlet relaxation zones, have different directions relative to the -axis.
NB: Some reflection does occur on the wall perpendicular to the wave outlet.
2.3.4 Periodic Solitary
- Name: tutorials/waveFoam/periodicSolitary
- Solver: waveFoam
- Description: This tutorial uses the method for initialising a wave profile, which is different from a flat water surface with a sea-level, which differs from 0 m. The computational domain is cyclic in the direction of wave propagation and the initial field is a solitary wave.
NB: In the simulation a portion of the wave propagates in the opposite direction of the actual wave propagation. It is considered to be due to the fact that the solitary wave theory does not fulfil the non-linear wave problem accurately enough, which is why a part of the wave energy is reflected on the wave itself. It has been tested to initialise with and without the analytical expression for the excess pressure, however, it does not make a difference. Experimental evidence of this behaviour is reported in .
2.3.5 Square Pile in Cylindrical Domain
- Name: tutorials/waveFoam/squarePile
- Solver: waveFoam
- Description: This tutorial shows how to use the cylindrical relaxation zone. A unidirectional current is the target function all the way around, hence one relaxation zone acts as both generation and absorption. The relaxation zone removes the internally generated surface disturbances. It could be interesting to have it tested for ships waves. Alternatively, a better shape for that purpose, e.g. an elliptical relaxation zone shape could be implemented.
NB: Generating waves in the computational domain in this tutorial will give bad results. This is a direct consequence of the huge variation in cells per wave length depending on the location in the domain and not the relaxation method! Particular attention should be given to circular domains with waves.
2.3.6 Wave Transformation over Submerged Bar
- Name: tutorials/waveFoam/bejiBattjes
- Solver: waveFoam
- Description: This tutorial provides the experimental setup from  and a Matlab script, which can be used to compare the experimental data and the simulations.
3 Development / On-going and Future
- In connection with each of the wave theories in src/waveTheories/, there should be a corresponding file in src/setWaveProperties/, which computes all of the necessary properties based on a minimum number of inputs, e.g. have height, , water depth, , and wave period, .
- This work is still ongoing, hence for those waves missing a property-file, the pre-processing tool setWaveParameters will fail.
- Tests with other outlet boundary types 
- The pressure gradient points in the direction of the boundary face, irrespectively of the fact that it should be corrected for the angle between wave propagation and the direction of the boundary face.
- The pressure gradient is not implemented in all of the wave theories - returns instead .
4 Download and Installation
Besides the standard dependencies in OpenFoam, waves2Foam also depend on Gnu Scientific Library (GSL). This is needed for two reasons:
- In the cnoidal wave theory one has to evaluate Jacobian elliptic functions and complete elliptic integrals. These are not natively available in OpenFoam.
- A pre-processing tool, which is currently being developed, computes the needed wave parameters giving the minimal number of input parameters. This quickly results in a set of non-linear sets of equations in unknowns. For this purpose GSL is currently being used.
GSL can e.g. be downloaded using the following commands
Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install libgsl0-dev gfortran Fedora: sudo yum install gsl-devel Suse: sudo zypper install gsl-devel
Please be aware that the location for GSL might differ between OS's, hence the include paths in the options-files could be wrong. If you have successfully installed GSL and the compilation complains over missing header files or libraries, this is the first place to look.
4.2 SVN on SourceForge
The toolbox is available through the OpenFoam-Extend SourceForge SVN. Check out the code in the following manner:
- Install GSL as described above
- Obtain the source code via SVN as described above
- Execute the Allwmake script in the folder waves2Foam
- The Allwmake script might cast an error in terms of instructions. Merely follow these.
- Other errors could be a lot of things:)
5 Modifications to the Source Code (History)
- 2017-07-23 19:46:17: (2113) Continue adding pressures to wave theories: Now chappelear and corrects for still water level
- 2017-07-15 22:07:26: (r2112) Added solitary wave theory (Chappelear) and fixed bug in solitaryFirst
- 2017-07-14 18:01:19: (r2111) Adding pressure distribution to stokesSecond
- 2017-05-17 17:12:03: (r2107) Added a small interface correction to waveTheory.H
- 2017-05-07 21:53:13: (r2106) Added utility to compute the (analytical) wave field in a multiple of points: sampleIncidentWaveField
- 2017-04-09 20:23:26: (r2105) Added breeder version of catenary mooring line (v1606). Also coded pressure to StokesFirst
- 2017-01-15 18:50:23: (r2104) Support for foam-extend-4.0
- 2016-11-08 18:41:24: (r2103) waves2Foam available for v1606+
- 2016-10-13 16:00:22: (r2102) Preparing for better treatment of KC; no functional change
- 2016-09-27 07:31:45: (r2101) porousWaveFoam for OpenFoam-v3.0+ (only explicit advection of alpha.water)
- 2016-08-12 15:48:56: (r2100) Added compatibility with OpenFoam-v3.0+ and solvers for foam-extend-3.2
- 2016-07-08 10:40:35: (r2096) Minor change to pEqn.H for foam-extend-3.1 to support on-going developments. No functional change.
- 2016-07-01 22:41:30: (r2095) Added support for OpenFoam-4.0.0. porousWaveFoam not created and sampling library broken in OpenFoam-4.0.0
- 2016-05-19 22:05:52: (r2094) Support for stream function wave theory
- 2016-05-19 10:27:57: (r2093) Debug overtopping: results of rhoU2A were bugged, not the overtopping rate itself.
- 2016-04-29 11:11:26: (r2092) Minor cosmetic changes. Only functional change: Extruded faceSetToSTL always have outward pointing normal.
- 2016-04-04 14:52:42: (r2091) Changed source location for OceanWave3D. New version resolves bugs with respect to wave generation with the use of a paddle signal. Otherwise no functional effects are expected.
- 2016-04-04 09:48:18: (r2090) Resolved need for dual compilation, if WAVES_LIBBIN does not exist at the beginning of the compilation. WAVES_LIBBIN and WAVES_APPBIN are made manually.
- 2016-03-08 11:05:46: (r2089) Minor downstream dependencies. No functional change
- 2016-02-03 10:58:03: (r2088) Minor bug corrected in compilation procedure; effect on foam-extend branch
- 2016-02-02 10:50:34: (r2087) Corrected minor bug in oceanWave3D-coupling.
- 2016-01-08 17:42:13: (r2086) Update tutorial porousDamBreak + porousWaveFoam for OF2.3.0
- 2015-12-18 18:29:10: (r2085) Added time control checks to oceanWave3D.C
- 2015-11-23 07:27:38: (r2084) Added solver for OpenFoam-3.0.0
- 2015-11-20 18:50:30: (r2083) Preparation of compatibility with OpenFoam-3.0.0 - do not use this revision
- 2015-10-15 22:09:38: (r2082) Debugging of ThirdParty/Allwmake compile script
- 2015-10-15 21:17:44: (r2081) Additional of OceanWave3D coupling + related tutorial + documentation in 'doc'
- 2015-10-01 20:00:40: (r2080) src+utilities compiles with foam-extend-3.2. Solvers to follow
- 2015-09-16 09:27:48: (r2079) Minor issues with options and file for solvers
- 2015-09-09 16:07:37: (r2078) Added the possibility of using the sea level as vertical reference. Tutorials and setWaveParameters modified accordingly.
- 2015-08-24 17:10:42: (r2077) Added '- phi' to the argument in stokesFifth.C
- 2015-07-27 09:44:25: (r2073) Minor changes related to external wave forcing (e.g. nicer closing in solver + works with setWaveField)
- 2015-07-12 13:48:09: (r2072) waves2Foam compiles on OF2.4 + waveFoam solver
- 2015-06-06 18:22:46: (r2068) Added zero-crossing functionality + porosity model can be used for non-wave related things
- 2015-04-14 21:24:03: (r2066) Streamlined the code (removed duplication) for the setWaveProperties and related classes. Change in input format in waveProperties.input.
- 2015-03-25 09:05:40: (r2064) surfaceElevation now gives correct results on moving meshes in runTime (tested on foam-extend-3.1). Increase computational time.
- 2015-03-16 14:38:06: (r2063) Small change to porosityCoefficients. NO functional change. Also, corrected bug in surfaceElevation.C, which affected foam-extend branch.
- 2015-03-12 15:14:46: (r2062) Small change in the interface for the porosity module. No functional change.
- 2015-02-05 13:28:26: (r2060) Added porousWaveFoam for foam-extend-3.1
- 2014-10-30 11:01:34: (r2057) Resolving naming match between waves2Foam and 2+ OF-versions [DO NOT USE REVISION 2056]
- 2014-10-30 10:18:49: (r2056) Made the porosity runTime-selectable. Currently only one method available. Commit includes derived modifications.
- 2014-10-24 22:03:27: (r2055) Directional check on wave directions in wave theories. 3Dwaves tutorial corrected accordingly
- 2014-09-09 14:41:16: (r2051) Small interface change in the external wave classes (constructs now with fvMesh as well)
- 2014-09-04 14:43:15: (r2050) Modified options files so the compilation works with local installations of GSL
- 2014-09-04 11:36:01: (r2049) Changes to the output location of some applications and libraries. Now uses WAVES_APPBIN/WAVES_LIBBIN
- 2014-06-21 18:04:47: (r2045) Compiling on foam-extend-3.1, waveFoam 3.1 and waveFoam/porousWaveFoam added directly from OF2.2.1 to OF2.2.2
- 2014-05-31 22:02:48: (r2044) waveFoam support to foam-extend 3.0 + minor bug-fixes + new relaxation zone shape
- 2014-05-17 11:28:34: (r2043) Minor maintanence, i.e. waveProperties.input in waveFlume tutorial.
- 2014-04-12 17:35:52: (r2042) Corrected OF2.3.0 issue with the test case bejiBattjes
- 2014-04-06 12:33:09: (r2041) Release to facilitate planned future open-source contribution(s) [No functional change in execution].
- 2014-03-27 21:17:38: (r2040) Additional corrections to the tutorials to run in 2.3.0. Also corrected periodicSolitary, so the tutorial runs for recent cyclic definition.
- 2014-03-26 19:22:46: (r2039) Corrected tutorials, such that they can actually execute (adding the 0.org-directory)
- 2014-03-20 11:11:40: (r2038) Added a single post-processing functionality (writeIndexLocation)
- 2014-03-11 20:57:55: (r2037) Updated structure of tutorials to easier accommondate future changes. Now runs for OF2.3 with alpha.water.
- 2014-03-01 19:05:46: (r2036) Adjusted to be used with OF2.3. Furthermore, the porousDamBreak case now offers comparison with experiments. The tutorials are not yet adjusted to work with the changes from OF2.2 -> OF2.3.
- 2014-01-26 16:13:27: (r2026) Compatibility of waves2Foam libraries and utilities with foam-extend-3.0. Still no solver (waveFoam)
- 2013-12-28 11:43:19: (r2025) Porosity module with solvers (OF1.6, 2.1.0, 2.1.1, 2.2.0, 2.2.1) and a single tutorial.
- 2013-11-25 19:35:06: (r2024) Modified the fatal error message in the compilation, such that it is easy to understand how to resolve the issue with a wrong WAVES_DIR environmental variable.
- 2013-10-24 09:11:15: (r2022) Added a new relaxationScheme and a new relaxationShape
- 2013-10-07 20:36:24: (r2021) Modified src/waves2Foam*/Make/options.* to include XVERSION flag
- 2013-09-15 09:37:28: (r2020) Added phase focusing as an option for irregular waves.
- 2013-09-05 13:31:41: (r2019) Trivial bug-fix, not affecting results (Thanks: Bjarne Jensen)
- 2013-09-03 10:38:12: (r2018) Increased flexibility for setting wave spectra for JONSWAP.
- 2013-08-12 14:40:19: (r2017) Minor bug-fix in src/waves2Foam/waveTheories/irregular/irregular/irregular.C
- 2013-08-07 23:34:24: (r2016) Faster evaluation of irregular waves
- 2013-08-06 21:59:56: (r2015) A bit of code maintenance/simplification
- 2013-07-28 12:15:35: (r2014) Fourth revision on code style change according to: www.openfoam.org/contrib/code-style.php. [No functionality change]
- 2013-07-27 22:03:15: (r2013) Third revision on code style change according to: www.openfoam.org/contrib/code-style.php. [No functionality change]
- 2013-07-27 19:31:35: (r2012) Second revision on code style change according to: www.openfoam.org/contrib/code-style.php. [No functionality change]
- 2013-07-22 22:53:39: (r2011) First revision on code style change according to: www.openfoam.org/contrib/code-style.php. [No functionality change]
- 2013-07-15 13:09:08: (r2010) Corrected missing files in src/waves2FoamProcessing/Make/files
- 2013-07-13 11:32:48: (r2009) waves2Foam now compiles under OF2.2.1
- 2013-07-09 15:12:25: (r2008) Added an additional point distribution (user-defined) for wave gauges
- 2013-07-07 19:28:45: (r2007) Release of pre- and post-processing utilities, overtopping sampling and modified tutorials.
- 2013-07-07 18:37:43: (r2004-r2006) Temporary revision: Restructuring the src-directory
- 2013-07-07 17:41:18: (r2003) Bug in bichromatic second.
- 2013-06-11 20:46:14: (r2000) Resolve incompatibility between version 2.2.0 and 2.2.x for waveFoam header files
- 2013-06-09 09:13:39: (r1997) Added a small script for the creation of new wave theories in waves2Foam/doc/templateWaveTheory
- 2013-06-08 21:11:23: (r1996) Updated compilation system
- 2013-06-07 21:38:02: (r1991-r1995) Temporary commit during updating to new SVN
- 2012-12-03 12:52:40: (r1984) Added second order bichromatic waves. Set numerical beach type to "Empty" as defalt.
- 2012-11-29 15:10:18: (r1983) Added wave theory. Automatic enhanced write precision for cnoidal waves parameters. Slight change to waveTheory interface.
- 2012-11-23 15:52:01: (r1982) Changed setWaveParameters so (i) parameters are read from waveProperties.input and written to waveProperties and (ii) it does not depend on the mesh. The latter speeds up the execution (a lot!).
- 2012-11-18 21:48:17: (r1981) Added a check for validity of second order stokes in the properties file
- 2012-10-31 15:29:27: (r1980) Bug in compiling setWaveParameters for OFVERSION >= 17. Added pre-processor statement
- 2012-10-31 14:38:18: (r1979) (i) Bug in bichromaticFirstProperties.C. (ii) Cosmethics in the *Properties files, when writing waveProperties-file
- 2012-10-18 17:00:21: (r1977) (i) Added solvers for 2.1. (ii) Changed the approach used by setWaveParameters to write waveProperties file. (iii) Updated headers with publication data on the journal article. (iv) Added the file sourceCodeStructure_r1923.svg in the doc directory.
- 2012-10-17 12:04:01: (r1976) Removed all pre-processing if's related to version 15. Altered the OFVERSION pre-processor to work on e.g. 211 and 160 rather than 21 and 16.
- 2012-10-01 11:49:20: (r1975) Modified the tutorials, so they are also running under OF2.1
- 2012-09-10 21:29:21: (r1973) Corrected infinite loop in the computation of the wave number, when kh > 60 (extreme deep water).
- 2012-08-16 09:44:50: (r1972) Added an option for a local sealevel in potentialCurrent
- 2012-07-13 20:51:52: (r1969) Added the following: (i) runTime selection of relaxation zone weights, (ii) a local correction to relaxation weight based on the local Courant number, (iii) update of relaxationZoneLayout to show the weight and (iv) added interface for numerical beach in UEqn.H but still not functional.
- 2012-06-08 12:09:21: (r1967) Added some post-processing utilities to be used in matlab and modified the misc/matlab file structure. Minor bug-fix in generateStreamFile.m so the output file is consistent with the format in waves2Foam.
- 2012-05-16 10:44:43: (r1966) Corrected bug in matlab script for stream function theory (previous results correct, if the program could finalise!)
- 2012-05-15 12:01:18: (r1965) Additional output time control for the surfaceElevation utility. Especially needed under functionObject functionality
- 2012-05-10 14:37:47: (r1961) Added a optional starting time for the surface elevation sampling
- 2012-05-09 14:18:23: (r1960) Added phase-lag (phi_) in streamFunction.C
- 2012-05-03 13:22:43: (r1953) Added functionObject functionality for sampledSurfaceElevation. Included in the tutorial waveFlume.
- 2012-05-02 10:11:01: (r1952) Modification to Allwmake and src/Allwmake so "sed" also works under Mac OSX.
- 2012-04-30 21:28:20: (r1951) Added a post-processing utility, which can be used to extract the surface elevation. As of now, version 1.5 is no longer supported.
- 2012-04-11 10:13:10: (r1947) Bug in Allwmake script
- 2012-03-26 21:45:20: (r1945) Changed the way setWaveProperties output irregular wave properties. Adjusted irregular waveTheory accordingly.
- 2012-03-17 15:56:02: (r1944) Solved bug in convexPolyhedral. Furthermore added an addition relaxation shape (semiCircular)
- 2012-03-13 16:13:42: (r1943) Minor changes
- 2012-02-19 14:45:14: (r1940) Added the possibility of a wind vector, which is constant in space and time.
- 2012-01-29 19:15:41: (r1938) Changed the Make/files and Make/options to have the output files in FOAM_USER_LIBBIN and FOAM_USER_APPBIN.
- 2012-01-28 15:55:34: (r1937) Added a Pierson-Moskowitz spectrum
- 2012-01-27 13:28:00: (r1936) Added framework for irregular wave spectra - properties and wave theory
- 2012-01-24 13:20:58: (r1935) Small changes to src/Make/files and the overall Allwmake script in order to avoid the recompilation of waves2Foam on non-dev/ext versions of OF
- 2012-01-19 16:50:48: (r1934) Modified the code, so PI can be used both in pre- and post-2.0 versions of OpenFoam. It is replaced by PI_(4.0*atan(1.0)) a few neccesary places as a protected member variable.
- 2011-12-04 20:07:35: (r1932) Added a tutorial showing how to generate a standing wave from a fully reflecting sea wall
- 2011-11-22 10:02:44: (r1929) Added a tutorial utilising the cylindrical relaxation zone
- 2011-11-19 01:01:19: (r1928) Added "waveFoam" for 1.7, modified Allwmake script and added necessary files to tutorials due to above change.
- 2011-11-16 19:22:22: (r1937) setWaveParameters now also works for cnoidalFirst
- 2011-11-14 20:04:08: (r1926) Added matlab tools for cnoidal and stream function waves
- 2011-11-14 17:52:52: (r1925) Added a 3D wave tank tutorial
- 2011-11-10 11:30:30: (r1923) Initial release of waves2Foam - all files
- Grilli, ST, Subramanye, R, Svendsen, IA and Veeramony, J (1994). Shoaling of Solitary Waves on Plane Beaches, Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, 120(6), 609-628
- Beji, S. and Battjes, J.A. (1993). Experimental Investigation of Wave-Propagation over a Bar. Coastal Engineering, Volume 19(1-2), 151-162
- Clement, A (1996). Coupling of two absorbing boundary conditions for 2D time-domain simulations of free surface gravity waves. Journal of Computational Physics, pp. 139-151
- Ducloc, G, Clement, AH, Chatry, G (2001). Absorption of outgoing waves in a numerical wave tank using a self-adaptive boundary condition. International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, pp. 168-175.
- Obtained from: http://lavandula.imim.es/adun-new/?page_id=186
--NGJ 20:10, 04 December 2011 (CET)