View source for OpenFOAMWiki talk:Community Portal
|Thread title||Replies||Last modified|
|This page needs some serious updating done to it...||3||21:41, 8 November 2014|
|Proposition for the updated page content||0||19:53, 8 November 2014|
When Bgschaid updated the wiki to the new format, it gave a higher emphasis on this particular page. I'm wondering if anyone is already assigned to updating this page?
If not, I was already planning on doing a quick update... but then stopped, because I'm intrigued on the tone for updating it?! Because at first I was reading it as OpenFOAMWiki sort-of being its own community, but then the page gives a deeper-direct connection to the Extend project.
I was planning on giving it a bit of a bit more generic undertone, in the sense that it's for the community that uses OpenFOAM technology as a whole, no matter which fork or variant, since it can benefit everyone... but I thought I should ask about it first, before starting to write it.
You mean "it had a higher emphasis", right? It used to be in the sidebar. The sidebar moved up and I cleaned it a bit (because the top-bar doesn't look too good if it breaks into two lines).
The original intention of the bar where the community-portal is now linked was to give people a quick jump to other relevant sites (Forum, OpenCFD-bugtracker, etc). The reason why the community portal looks different there is because it is an internal link and all the others are external. Why it doesn't directly link to extend-project I do not remember. But basically this was intended as a jump-board to that site (as you see in the history the other text was added later. I THINK the intermediate nature of the link (not direct link but prominent) was a compromise.
Haven't looked at the page in a long time. I think the second section is more or less obsolete with the foam-extend-distribution.
You'd like to make the page more general? I'd say it would be even better to link additional community activities from the front page - section 7 and/or link a generic article from there too
You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reasons:
- The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Users.
- You must confirm your email address before editing pages. Please set and validate your email address through your user preferences.
- Your username or IP address has been blocked.
The block was made by DNSBL.
The reason given is Your IP address is listed as an open proxy in the DNSBL used by OpenFOAMWiki..
- Start of block: 16:09, 25 May 2022
- Expiry of block: 16:09, 25 May 2022
- Intended blockee: 126.96.36.199
You can view and copy the source of this page:
The proposition for the new page is in the sibling discussion thread Proposition for the updated page content.
I didn't publish it directly on the wiki page, since this is a somewhat sensitive topic and I gave it a deep undertone of "trade mark policy" correctness, by referring more explicitly to "OpenFOAM technology" instead of OpenFOAM itself.
Dedicated to and done by the community that uses OpenFOAM technology.
OpenFOAMWiki.net is a portal in the sense that it enables a sound interconnection for sharing world-wide joint developments on using and extending OpenFOAM related technology, may it be based on the OpenFOAM® CFD toolbox or any forks/variants that originated from it.
Anyone and everyone is welcome in sharing information on this wiki, but keep in mind that:
- The content is available on this wiki is under GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 unless otherwise noted.
- Follow the guidelines defined on the Main_Policy page.
Please keep in mind that this offering is not approved or endorsed by OpenCFD® Limited, the producer of the OpenFOAM® software and owner of the OpenFOAM® and OpenCFD® trade marks.
2 Getting started with OpenFOAM technology
As this portal is constantly growing, the Main_Page acts a short list of important links to several important locations where you can find more about OpenFOAM® as a toolbox and as a technology, as well as other related technologies and user groups.
For a comprehensive list of known forks and variants of OpenFOAM technology, have a look at this page: Forks and Variants
Beyond this, just pointing out the Handy_links page, so you won't forget that when it comes to OpenFOAM technology, you should read/study as much as you can!
3 Asking Questions and Getting Answers
All depends on what you're asking and what kind of answers you're looking for:
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- There is a dedicated page for this, available in two forms:
- Forums and Discussion Groups
- These are used as the most conventional way of asking questions and sharing knowledge with others. For instructions on how to communicate with others through these groups: HowTo_Get_Help_On_The_Message_Board
- Known forums:
- OpenFOAM Forum at CFD-Online.com
- This is considered to be the main forum for discussing everything related to OpenFOAM technology. Note: Must register to access and see attachments, and must write in English only!
- The OpenFOAM® Extend Project
- Also known as the -Extend Project Community Portal, it's dedicated to extending software based in OpenFOAM technology and closely connected to the foam-extend. Note Must register in order to access these discussion groups!
- OpenFOAM tag at scicomp.stackexchange.com
- The Computational Science group at StackExchange has a tag dedicated to OpenFOAM, where people sometimes find it easier to ask questions and get answers, albeit it might not yet be as popular.
- Warning: But keep in mind that this way of communication usually does not work in real-time and any and all answers might take a lot longer than you might wish for them to come!
- Special Interest Groups
- These groups are usually already organized and working on their particular topic: Main_Special_Interest_Groups
- Local User Groups
- Feel the need to interact directly with fellow OpenFOAM technology users in a particular part of the world? Here's a list of those user groups: Main_Local_User_Groups