Proposition for the updated page content
Dedicated to and done by the community that uses OpenFOAM technology.
OpenFOAMWiki.net is a portal in the sense that it enables a sound interconnection for sharing world-wide joint developments on using and extending OpenFOAM related technology, may it be based on the OpenFOAM® CFD toolbox or any forks/variants that originated from it.
Anyone and everyone is welcome in sharing information on this wiki, but keep in mind that:
- The content is available on this wiki is under GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 unless otherwise noted.
- Follow the guidelines defined on the Main_Policy page.
Please keep in mind that this offering is not approved or endorsed by OpenCFD® Limited, the producer of the OpenFOAM® software and owner of the OpenFOAM® and OpenCFD® trade marks.
2 Getting started with OpenFOAM technology
As this portal is constantly growing, the Main_Page acts a short list of important links to several important locations where you can find more about OpenFOAM® as a toolbox and as a technology, as well as other related technologies and user groups.
For a comprehensive list of known forks and variants of OpenFOAM technology, have a look at this page: Forks and Variants
Beyond this, just pointing out the Handy_links page, so you won't forget that when it comes to OpenFOAM technology, you should read/study as much as you can!
3 Asking Questions and Getting Answers
All depends on what you're asking and what kind of answers you're looking for:
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- There is a dedicated page for this, available in two forms:
- Forums and Discussion Groups
- These are used as the most conventional way of asking questions and sharing knowledge with others. For instructions on how to communicate with others through these groups: HowTo_Get_Help_On_The_Message_Board
- Known forums:
- OpenFOAM Forum at CFD-Online.com
- This is considered to be the main forum for discussing everything related to OpenFOAM technology. Note: Must register to access and see attachments, and must write in English only!
- The OpenFOAM® Extend Project
- Also known as the -Extend Project Community Portal, it's dedicated to extending software based in OpenFOAM technology and closely connected to the foam-extend. Note Must register in order to access these discussion groups!
- OpenFOAM tag at scicomp.stackexchange.com
- The Computational Science group at StackExchange has a tag dedicated to OpenFOAM, where people sometimes find it easier to ask questions and get answers, albeit it might not yet be as popular.
- Warning: But keep in mind that this way of communication usually does not work in real-time and any and all answers might take a lot longer than you might wish for them to come!
- Special Interest Groups
- These groups are usually already organized and working on their particular topic: Main_Special_Interest_Groups
- Local User Groups
- Feel the need to interact directly with fellow OpenFOAM technology users in a particular part of the world? Here's a list of those user groups: Main_Local_User_Groups